Capital Gains Tax For Non Resident Landlords
UK Property Tax Specialists
01902 711370
0800 907 8633
UK Landlord Tax Facebook Fan Page
Tax return forms are available free of charge from HMRC. We are independent accountants and not part of or affiliated to HMRC. We remove the stress and anxiety of preparing your tax return by completing and filing your tax return for you. We shall help you to pay the least amount of tax by advising you about the expenses which you are entitled to claim.
Wolverhampton Science Park
Creative Industries Centre
West Midlands
WV10 9TG
01902 711370
0800 907 8633 is the trading name of Thandi Nicholls Ltd Accountants Registered Office Creative Industries Centre Glaisher Drive Wolverhampton WV10 9TG Registered in England Company Number 7319439 Directors K W Nicholls FCA S S Thandi BA
Enter your question here and or tell us the best time to contact you:
The next step...

If you dispose of a dwelling in the UK, you are liable to tax on the Capital Gain. If you owned the property at 5th April 2015 then the assessable gain is for the period from 5th April 2015 to the date of disposal.

Private Residence Relief and Lettings Relief may be available if you have lived in the property at any time and the annual exemption is available to set off against the gain. If you owned the property on 5th April 2015, you can either:

1. Claim the market value of the property at 5th April 2015 against the proceeds of sale (the default position).The gain/loss is the difference between the sale proceeds (less costs) and the market value at 5th April 2015 (plus any enhancement expenditure after this date).

If the property was your principal private residence at any time prior to 5th April 2015 then you can claim the last 18 months so effectively there would be no CGT unless the property was sold after 5th October 2016. In these circumstances, you would also be able to claim lettings relief as well as long as the property was let.

2. Elect to time apportion the gain over the total period of ownership and then the amount chargeable would be the portion which relates to after 5th April 2015.

3. Elect for the retrospective basis to apply which means that the whole gain/loss is taken into account. You may want to do this if there is a loss or principal private residence relief gives a lower gain over the whole period.

The elections in 2 and 3 are irrevocable once made.

If you are non-resident for less than five whole tax years any capital gains which you make on any other assets (which are not dwellings sold after 5th April 2015 or assets used in a trade in the UK) whilst abroad, may be taxed in the year you return unless those assets were acquired and disposed after you became non-resident.

Apart from dwellings sold after 5th April 2015/assets used in a UK trade and you returning to the UK within 5 tax years, there is no Capital Gains Tax if you are a non-resident.

YOU MUST MAKE A RETURN OF THE DISPOSAL OF THE DWELLING WITHIN 30 DAYS OF THE COMPLETION OF THE SALE. The return has to be made whether you  complete a self assessment return or not.

If you complete a self assessment return, the tax is due on the normal date of 31st January after the end of the tax year in which the disposal takes place.

You should also confirm your tax reporting requirements in the country where you reside with a local tax adviser.

Thandi Nicholls Ltd 2017 All Rights Reserved - The above article is provided for guidance only and may not cover your personal circumstances so you should not rely on it. It is important that you seek  appropriate professional advice which takes into account your personal circumstances where you can provide the full facts of the case and all documents related to your case. Thandi Nicholls Ltd t/a,  K Nicholls FCA or S Thandi cannot be held responsible for the consequences of any action or the consequences of deciding not to act.