Tax rates and allowances
Income tax rates and taxable bands
|UK Excluding Scotland||Scotland|
|Starting rate for savings: 0% (1)|
Starting rate (Scotland only): 19%
|Basic rate: 20%|
Intermediate rate (Scotland only): 21%
£12,445 – £30,930
|Higher rate: 40%|
Scotland: 41% 2018/19 Only
|£37,501 – £150,000||£37,501 – £150,000||£30,931 – £150,000||£30,931 – £150,000|
|Additional rate: 45%|
Scotland: 46% 2018/19 Only
|Over £150,000||Over £150,000||Over £150,000||Over £150,000|
(1) If your non-savings income is above this limit then the 0 per cent starting rate for savings will not apply.
The first £2000 of dividends are taxed at 0%, if there is basic rate band remaining then the rate of tax is 7.5%, 32.5% for the remaining higher rate band and 38.1% for the additional rate band. There is also a savings allowance of £1000 for basic rate taxpayers and £500 for higher rate tax payers but not additional rate taxpayers.
Income tax allowances
|Income tax allowances||2020-21||2019-20|
|Personal allowance (2)||£12,500||£12,500|
|Income limit for personal allowance||£100,000||£100,000|
|Married couple’s allowance for those born before 6th April 1935 (3) (4)||£8,915||£8,915|
|Income limit for age-related allowances||£29,600||£29,600|
|Minimum amount of married couple’s allowance||£3,450||£3,450|
|Maximum marriage allowance transfer (5)||£1,250||£1,250|
(2) The Personal Allowance reduces by £1 for every £2 of income above £100,000. This reduction applies irrespective of age.
(3) These age related allowances reduce by £1 for every £2 of income above the income limit for age-related allowances. Unless income is in excess of £100,000 the allowance will never be less than the basic Personal Allowance or minimum amount of Married Couple’s Allowance.
(4) Tax relief for the Married Couple’s Allowance is given at the rate of 10 per cent.
(5) One individual must be a basic rate tax payer and the other must have income less than the personal allowance.
Capital gains tax rates and annual tax free allowances
|Capital gains annual exemption||2020-21||2019-20|
|Annual individuals, personal representatives and trustees for disabled people||£12,300||£12,000|
Rates for capital gains tax
Rates for individuals 10%/18%/20%/28%. Rates for individuals are 10%/18% up to the limit of the remaining basic rate tax band (if any) after deducting taxable income and 20%/28% on gains above that limit. The extra 8% applies on disposals of residential properties. 10 per cent for gains qualifying for Entrepreneurs Relief.
Inheritance tax thresholds
The Inheritance Tax threshold (or nil rate band) is £325,000.
If the estate – including any assets held in trust and gifts made within seven years of death – is more than the threshold, Inheritance Tax will be due at 40% on the amount over the nil rate band (36% if more than 10% of the estate is left to charity in the will).
Additional nil rate band for a transfer of a main residence to a direct descendant £175,000 (2019/20 £150,000) provided that the estate is less than £2million.
Do you have a question for our experts?
If there’s a property tax issue that has you puzzled or worried, get in touch. Everyone on our team loves to talk, especially when it helps people like you find peace of mind.