Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)

One of many obligations that landlords need to adhere to is obtaining an EPC for their rental property. These certificates are legally required to help you comply with MEES Regulations (Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard) and show how energy efficient a rental property is, grading the property from A to G (most to least efficient). In effect, a more electrically efficient property should be a cheaper property to run. This would also result in a higher-grade property being more attractive to prospect tenants, so it is a good idea to ensure your property is as energy efficient as possible.

In order to obtain an Energy Performance Certificate, you should contact an approved assessor to survey your rental property. Certificates can typically cost between £60 and £120 and are valid for 10 years. Failure to comply with MEES regulations can cost you thousands, so it is vital that you obtain an EPC and maintain an energy efficient rental property.

The certificate will outline how much energy the property uses, how much you could pay on heating, lighting and hot water, and how much carbon dioxide the property will emit. You will also receive advice on how to improve your property’s rating. Things that could positively affect your property’s energy performance grade are:

  • Double glazing
  • Loft insulation
  • Low energy lighting
  • Hot water cylinder insulation

By 1st April 2020, all rental properties must be at least a grade E, and the certificate must be readily available to any prospect tenant. In Scotland, an EPC must be displayed clearly in the property you are renting out. After obtaining your certificate, if you need to get another copy, it is easy to do so online by searching for the Landmark Register (if your property is in England or Wales), or the Scottish or Northern Ireland Domestic EPC Registers.


© Thandi Nicholls Ltd 2020 All Rights Reserved – The above articles are provided for guidance only and may not cover your personal circumstances so you should not rely on them. It is important that you seek appropriate professional advice which takes into account your personal circumstances where you can provide the full facts of the case and all documents related to your case. Thandi Nicholls Ltd t/a, K Nicholls FCA or S Thandi cannot be held responsible for the consequences of any action or the consequences of deciding not to act.

Do you have a question for our experts?

If there’s a property tax issue that has you puzzled or worried, get in touch. Everyone on our team loves to talk, especially when it helps people like you find peace of mind.