Gas safety certificates

There are several safety measures that landlords need adhere to when renting out their property such as obtaining a gas safety certificate. Under the Gas Safety Regulations Act 1998, these certificates are legally required to be completed annually to ensure all gas appliances are working correctly and safely within a property.

In order to obtain a gas safety certificate, you should contact a gas safe registered heating engineer. These certificates usually cost around £35 to £150 depending on how many appliances you have. Whilst this check is being carried out at your property the gas safe engineer will check the following:

  • Your appliances to see if they are operating at the correct pressure
  • The air supply to your appliances and if they are burning gas correctly
  • Your gas safety devices on your appliances such as the cut-out devices, to ensure they are working correctly.

After the check is complete the engineer will provide you with a copy of this certificate, it is important that you keep this document for at least two years after the check. A copy of this certificate should be given to any tenants that live in the property within two weeks of the check being completed.

© Thandi Nicholls Ltd 2020 All Rights Reserved – The above articles are provided for guidance only and may not cover your personal circumstances so you should not rely on them. It is important that you seek appropriate professional advice which takes into account your personal circumstances where you can provide the full facts of the case and all documents related to your case. Thandi Nicholls Ltd t/a, K Nicholls FCA or S Thandi cannot be held responsible for the consequences of any action or the consequences of deciding not to act.

Do you have a question for our experts?

If there’s a property tax issue that has you puzzled or worried, get in touch. Everyone on our team loves to talk, especially when it helps people like you find peace of mind.